1.05.2010

Planning, Planning and more Planning!

That is what I am finding out it takes when you live this far out. While Safeway and Walmart are a convenient five miles away, there is still a lot of things not available unless you drive into Castle Rock or Parker, both which are about 40 minutes away. The advice I get from my country friends is make one day a week errand day and if you forget something, figure out a way to deal without it!

When I lived in Highlands Ranch, I rarely planned out my menus. I'd think about two or three meals, run to the grocery store a half mile away and pick up everything I needed. Sometimes I'd run out at 4pm to pick up things for dinner that night! Or it no big deal to pop into Walmart or Target to pick up a thing or two. Now it's not so easy. So we find that we are making lists of things that need to be done and picked up and seeing how much we can squeeze into one trip "into town." And I planned meals for a week! I imagine I'll get to the point of planning for two weeks, but for now this is a step in the right direction.

This is what I got done today in the course of FIVE hours!

* Drop off and pick up Patrick's dry cleaning in Elizabeth.
* Pop into the local gym to get a one-week trial membership (which didn't happen because no one was around to help out).
* Go through Sonic drive-thru and grab lunch for the boys.
* Run into Best Buy to pick up office stuff and a new computer mouse.
* Shop at Walmart for household items and any nice looking produce. I'm also learning to just grab two of everything. If I need dish detergent. Grab two bottles. If I need toilet paper. Grab two boxes. We're going to use it eventually and you don't want to run out on non-errand day!
* Go to Sprouts Farmers Market to pick up the rest of the produce I need (since Walmart's produce is always a little iffy) and all-natural meats, rice pasta and gluten-free baking products -- all stuff that I have not found in our local supermarket.

The boys got home tired and way past naptime. I got home tired! And I still haven't put groceries away! But the pay-off is that I shouldn't have to go into town for anything again until next Tuesday - Errand Day.

2 comments:

  1. The most important thing to quadruple up on is...............toilet paper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, you are so right. We ran out on CHRISTMAS DAY! Talk about unfortunate planning! ha ha Of course you are probably going through more lately, as I am as well. ;) Sounds like you are going to be forced to plan more, which you know will be good! Thanks for sharing your 5 hour outing, whew I am tired!
    Love,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete